The ultimate Google Hangouts extension.
Google Hangouts is a great messaging app for those of us who make considerable use of the Google
Hangouts IM platform and SMS. XHangouts is tasked with improving the Google Hangouts experience on Android. From resolving deep technical issues to cool graphical UI tweaks.
Featured twice on XDA Xposed Tuesday! (features v2.1)
- Easily enable or disable features without rebooting
- Automatically rotate photos taken by your camera
- High quality image resizing algorithm.
- Tweak MMS, Google Voice, and Hangouts image dimensions
- Choose between JPEG and PNG images at varying quality levels with an easy-to-use interface.
- Change the enter key on your keyboard to add a new line or send your message (as opposed to opening the emoji keyboard).
- (Currently deactivated) MMS APN Splicing. Send and receive MMS very quickly (and waste less battery) while on your mobile connection.
- Personalize Hangouts! Choose from 23 different material design colors.
- Activate the dark or AMOLED-friendly black theme to make Hangouts easier on the eyes and battery.
- Change the chat bubble and text colors in conversations!
- Hide the video and audio call toolbar buttons.
- Enhance the Hangouts call button logic
- Toggle the app's launcher presence
- Access XHangouts easily from an entry in the Hangouts menu
- Send a message and lock your device with one tap
- Customize ringtones and sounds
- Disable the proximity sensor
- Access the hidden and powerful Hangouts debug menu
- Works on Xposed for Lollipop and Marshmallow!
- Free and open-source software. No nags. No data collection. No secrets.
Find more in the images directory.
Copyright © 2014-2017 Kevin Mark. XHangouts is licensed under the GNU General Public License, Version 3 which can be found in LICENSE.md
More information on the projects used to help create XHangouts can be found by opening the app's About dialog and clicking the License link. Or just open "app/src/main/assets/license.html" in your browser.
XHangouts v2.14 introduces support for Google Hangouts 16.0.144731464.
XHangouts v2.13 introduces support for Google Hangouts 15.0.141104777.
Note from ImADev/blackbox87: After installing Hangouts v15 my SMS conversations were missing. I quickly fixed that by enabling the debug menu and selecting the option to re-import SMS.
XHangouts v2.12 introduces support for Google Hangouts 14.0.136618992.
XHangouts v2.11 introduces support for Google Hangouts 13.0.134811930.
XHangouts v2.10 introduces support for Google Hangouts 13.0.134095498.
XHangouts v2.9 introduces the following features and improvements:
- Support for Google Hangouts 12.0.130004787
- The Hangouts share menu is now correctly themed
XHangouts v2.8.1 resolves an APK build issue with v2.8. The previous release did not include all of the optimized app resources.
XHangouts v2.8 introduces the following features and improvements:
- Support for Google Hangouts 11.0.125976520
- Merged conversations have been restored
- The visibility of the emoji, gallery, camera, video, sticker, and location buttons can now be toggled.
- An experimental screen-off option that may help Hangouts notify you of new messages after the screen turns off.
- Misc. code cleanup
XHangouts v2.7.1 restores the functionality of the "send & lock" feature.
XHangouts v2.7 introduces the following features and improvements:
- Support for Google Hangouts 10.0.123391178
- Improved Marshmallow permission handling
- Hangouts will now display a message when it's incompatible with XHangouts
- Fixed a minor issue with the call button logic
- Removed support for StorePrefs as it's no longer being maintained
- Dark theme fixes and improvements
XHangouts v2.6 introduces the following features and improvements:
- Support for Google Hangouts 8.1.121732641
- Dark theme fixes and improvements
- An option to use black backgrounds
- Unread conversations can now be highlighted
- Access to hidden debug options
- Enhanced the call button logic
- App size optimizations
XHangouts v2.5 introduces a number of changes including:
- Support for Google Hangouts 8.0.116581895
- Dark theme support!
- Chat bubbles can now be automatically colorized based on your primary color selection.
- Resolved an issue with the settings menu on tablets
- Fixed a crash on Marshmallow devices when attempting to replace a sound
XHangouts v2.4 introduces a number of changes including:
- Support for Google Hangouts 7.0.113317058
- Support for StorePrefs v1.0.3. If enabled, you will be warned before upgrading to an unsupported version of Hangouts in the Play Store.
- Added ability to always hide or show the emoji button
- Fixed a crash when accepting a call
- Internal code refactoring to address some unpredictable bugs and performance issues
This is a quick bug fix release which addresses the following:
- Google Voice MMS quality degradation
- Hangouts Dialer colorization issue
- Potential crash/exception in resource hook
XHangouts v2.3 introduces a variety of new features, bug fixes, and most importantly support for the latest (at time of release) version of Google Hangouts. After two betas the final change log is as follows:
- Support for Google Hangouts 6.1.109448852
- Google Voice MMS is now also scaled and compressed similarly to MMS.
- The app color option now applies to all applicable user interface elements.
- Added the ability to colorize bubble colors, some text, and hyperlink colors.
- Prevent Hangouts crash when XHangouts is disabled.
- Fixed message type spinner padding
- Fixed a crash in the sound file chooser.
- Support for Xposed for Marshmallow.
- Tentative support for Xposed versions below v54 down to v42.
- Attach anytime has been removed.
- The Hide Emoji option has been removed.
- MMS APN Splicing has been removed
- Other miscellaneous improvements.
A hearty thank you goes out to ImADev @ XDA, who completed the bulk of the work in this release.
This unstable release of XHangouts v2.3 includes the following changes from the first beta:
- Support for only Google Hangouts 6.0.107278502 (at the time of release, this is the latest)
- The Sound replacement feature is in need of testing.
- MMS image resizing is back
- Google Voice MMS is now also scaled and compressed similarly to carrier MMS
- The interface is now entirely colorized
- Compiled against Marshmallow. Should work on Xposed for Marshmallow.
- MMS APN Splicing has been at least temporarily removed.
- Fixed crash in the sound file chooser
- A few miscellaneous other changes.
A hearty thank you goes out to ImADev @ XDA, who completed the bulk of the work in this release.
Please report any bugs or issues you encounter on GitHub or the XDA thread. If it's working perfectly for you, I don't mind hearing that either (on XDA, please)!
This unstable release of XHangouts v2.3 includes the following changes:
- Support for only Google Hangouts 4.0.100406486 (not the older 4.0.100147489!)
- MMS APN Splicing is in desperate need of testing in this release. If you've used this feature previously, please report back on the XDA thread with your findings.
- The Sound replacement feature is also in need of testing.
- Attach Anytime has been removed as it is no longer needed.
- The Hide Emoji option has met a similar fate.
- The Colorize / App color feature styles almost everything. Still a few assets that need to be recolored.
- MMS Resizing and orientation correction has been disabled. It appears this feature is no longer needed in Hangouts 4.0. Please provide your opinions on this.
XHangouts v2.2 brings about three new features and a handful of bug fixes and internal improvements. Support for (only) Hangouts 3.3 continues into this release.
- Customize ringtones and sounds (suggested by weaverinva @ XDA)
- Disable the proximity sensor (courtesy of blackle @ GitHub)
- Give yourself more room to type by hiding the emoji button (suggested by DarkKnightArtorias @ XDA)
- Fewer features require a full restart of Hangouts
- Additional debugging output
- Resolved a potential crash in configuration loading
- Code cleanup
XHangouts v2.1 is a minor release that now (and only) supports Google Hangouts 3.3. Unfortunately, MMS APN Splicing has not been tested in this release as I no longer have a device that I can test it with.
XHangouts v2.0 is here! There's lots to look forward to in this major release:
- Modular and more reliable XHangouts code structure
- Improvements to the build process
- Version tolerance (will no longer complain if your version is not the exact one I compiled against)
- An attractive new icon!
- A new material color scheme to go along with the icon
- Ability to add XHangouts to your launcher (suggested by Micks29 @ GitHub)
- Performance tweaks
- A new quick settings menu entry for easy access to XHangouts within Google Hangouts!
- Ability to long press the send button to send and lock your phone (suggested by bybenwalburn @ XDA)
- All dialogs reimplemented to use modern Android APIs
- A slightly less annoying "module not loaded" toast notification
- A new About dialog
- A license dialog
- A new, much better README
- APN Splicing is no longer marked as "experimental"
- More information link in the APN configuration dialog
- Supports Google Hangouts 3.1.89134953 (no support for 3.2 on Android 5.1)
A quick update:
- Now supports only Google Hangouts v3.0.87531466. As of release (March 13, 2015) this is the latest version of Google Hangouts.
- The primary Hangouts tabs are now properly styled when using different app colors.
A major XHangouts update! New features. Fewer bugs.
- Now (only) supports Google Hangouts v2.5.83281670. This is not the latest release. Google published a new version while I was working on this release of the module. You can download a copy of Hangouts 2.5.83 from APKMirror.com. It's the January 7th release. You can wait until I've added Hangouts v3.0 support but I have no timeframe to give you. The current version of Hangouts on your device can be checked by opening XHangouts and scrolling to the bottom or in your device's app settings.
- Lollipop support. And a material theme (if you're on Lollipop).
- The video and audio call toolbar buttons can now be hidden. Useful if you're accidentally calling people in the conversation view.
- Bumped default MMS resize dimensions to 1024×1024 and quality to 80.
- Colors! Not a fan of green? You're in luck. You can now switch between 23 different material color schemes in Hangouts! It's pretty attractive. See note below.
- Reverted back to checkboxes in the settings. They're smaller and have a nice little animation on Lollipop.
- The Twitter screenshot has been removed from the MMS type & quality dialog. Screenshot fidelity is an important advantage the improved resizing offers but the example in the dialog was not conveying that effectively enough. The best way to test the setting is by sending an image of your own choosing. As a pleasant side-effect that dialog is now a good bit faster.
- Fixed a potential memory leak
- Some cleaner code
- One or two other minor bug fixes
- Some better debug output
While this is a stable release there are a few known bugs with the color schemes. Some objects are not styled correctly. These are:
- The tab selection indicator on the main Hangouts conversation list view
- The on-press effect on those tabs. It seems off.
- Loading spinners/indicators
- Text cursors
- Messages you send via Hangouts (not SMS) are always green. I'll probably keep it that way.
This release is functionally identical to the v1.6-beta1 (yay for APN splicing!) with the follow exceptions (changes):
- Support for the latest release of Google Hangouts, v2.5.81636427.
- Added AT&T and Cricket APN presets (Thanks to Mike B. @ XDA)
- You can now add an attachment after you've begun typing by long-pressing the smiley button. This can be enabled/disabled in settings.
- The debug log is far less verbose during the splice.
- One or two other little changes.
- It's in the stable branch.
This beta release introduces MMS APN Splicing. It's a relatively experimental yet awesome feature that allows Hangouts to bypass the lengthy APN acquisition process in certain situations. What does this mean for you? It means when you're not on WiFi, sending and receiving MMS will be super fast and battery efficient. When you are on WiFi or your mobile network is not connected, Hangouts will go back to the default, more reliable process.
This feature is off by default and must be manually enabled in the settings. Once enabled select the APN configuration option. For Verizon Wireless users, just select the Verizon preset. For everyone else you need to determine your own MMS settings. These can usually be found on Google (for example, by searching for at&t android mms apn settings) or in your device's mobile settings.
Please report how well, or if, this works for you. Please note that in this version of XHangouts, when you enable debug mode, the contents of your MMS messages will be dumped to the Xposed log file to assist in beta testing. If you're sending something sensitive over MMS (which isn't the best idea anyway) make sure to at least disable debug mode or clear your Xposed log.
Updated to work with Hangouts v2.4. Do not update if you are not yet on Hangouts v2.4. You can determine this by going to the bottom of the XHangouts settings. If you are not on v2.4 and there is an update available in the Google Play Store it is most likely 2.4 and it's safe to install it.
This is a quick bug fix release resolving an issue with Android's SwitchPreference view being reset when it's scrolled off screen.
You can now customize the MMS image format, compression level, and scale! Take a peek into the settings and enjoy the super snazzy new dialogs. This release should also help those plagued by "not accepted" errors.
Fixed a bug where the send enter key behavior did not work properly on (at least) the AOSP or Google keyboards. Thanks to XDA member ripv2 for reporting.
Enter key behavior can now be tweaked! Check the settings page. The default action of the keyboard's enter/return key can be switched to one of the following: emoji selector (the default), newline, and send.
New icon by Adrian Babilinski!
XHangouts can now be intricately configured in the new settings page! To access it go to the Modules list in the Xposed Installer and tap on the XHangouts module listing. I did not add an entry to the launcher as 1) I don't have a pretty looking icon and 2) who honestly likes Xposed module launcher clutter?